4.07.2009

a day in my life

Have you ever gotten to the point where things are just so crazy that it becomes ridiculous to even worry about them anymore? I'm definitely there. The days rush by in a flurry of wind and rain, and I can't even remember the last person I talked to, whether or not I ate breakfast in the morning, or if my cell phone is actually in my backpack and not sitting on to of my dresser. But all I can do is smile and laugh off the worry. Take my schedule for tomorrow, for instance:
  • 7:45-8:30 am: Commute to school
  • 8:30-9:00 am: Final Acting scene walk/talk through (environment work)
  • 9:00-9:30 am: Start reading Flower Drum Song by C. Y. Lee
  • 9:30-11:20 am: Acting class
  • 11:20-12:30 pm: Musical Theatre solo rehearsal
  • 12:30-1:00 pm: Finalize Musical Theatre solo paperwork
  • 1:00-2:00 pm: Voice lesson
  • 2:00-2:30 pm: Continue reading Flower Drum Song by C. Y. Lee
  • 2:30-2:40 pm: Musical rehearsal
  • 2:40-3:20 pm: Lunch
  • 3:20-3:30 pm: Musical rehearsal
  • 3:30-4:00 pm: Dance review for Jazz midterm
  • 4:00-5:20 pm: Jazz dance class
  • 5:20-6:30 pm: Dinner and Acting rehearsal OR Musical Theatre duet rehearsal OR start memorizing lines for final Acting scene
  • 6:30-7:30 pm: Composition elective class
  • 7:30-9:30 pm: Floor Barre and Dance Review
  • 9:30-10:15 pm: Commute home
  • 10:30-Midnight: Homework - Research Flower Drum Song and the American 1950s for Musical Theatre solo work, continue reading Flower Drum Song by C. Y. Lee
Ridiculous, right? Ridiculous! All the other days of the week follow suit, only with more classes taking place during the day, usually (Wednesdays are my shortest class days).

Somehow, between all the madness that is my life of Musical Theatre, I strive to find time to enjoy the city and remind myself that I am a living, breathing, feeling, stressing, worrying, loving, caring, sharing, giving, happy human being. Some of my free time - yes, I actually do find free time every once in a while - has been spent with friends in Chinatown having dim sum, watching movies with the discount tickets we get at school, going thrift shopping, or attending a play or musical. Now, all of this can be considered acting research, and being the multitasking bird I am, I always find some way to relate my everyday life to my work. When you've got limited time like I do, you've got to find millions of little ways to be productive and efficient.

School itself has been going well. I'm still faced with some insecurities about my own progress, but it gets better and better as the days move on. I really have a secure handle on the skills that I've been acquiring over the last nine and a half months, and because of that, each time I work on a scene, song, or dance, I think less and less about technique and more and more about enjoying myself. I attended the Film, Stage, and Showbiz Expo a few weeks ago, where I learned about work opportunities in the entertainment industry. I also recently participated in an introductory seminar/workshop on commercial voice overs, which taught me about recording technique and working as a voice over artist, which is something I am definitely interested in. On top of all of that, I'm currently searching New York City and the surrounding areas for a photographer to take my headshots soon, hopefully by the end of May. I can begin auditioning in June, and I'm really working hard to make sure I'm ready when the time comes.

Things are getting serious here, but I'm not letting the magnitude of it all get to me. It's important to have fun and remind myself to keep doing so. After all, that is the point of all of this - have fun!

Okay then!

2 comments:

tzeentchling said...

Oooh, Flower Drum Song! That's a good show. Saw it performed at my community theater once, did enjoy it muchly. Also, you really have 10 minute Musical Rehearsals? That seems a bit odd.

Gina said...

Yes, we do have 10-minute Musical Rehearsals. They're strictly for music only - no acting, blocking, etc. - and they're with a school accompanist. They're intended to help both you and the accompanist know when and where to slow down, speed up, take pauses, and the like for our pieces.