1.07.2008

my overseas adventure // part 1 of 4

While on vacation in Italy and Spain, my friend Chris suggested I keep a daily journal to help chronicle my adventure and learn more about myself. I took his advice and compiled this four-part blog to help keep my memory fresh and my blog updated.

...

12.13.07-12.14.07, days one and two

Honestly, the flight wasn’t too bad. We had Nintendo DS and Ratatouille to keep us occupied.

We met two New Zealanders while waiting for a bus to our hotel. The older of the two made two observations about us and where we came from:

(1) That’s the thing about you bloody Asians: you don’t age.

(2) San Francisco? Everyone’s gay there, right?

The younger of the two is pretty cute. And you can’t beat a foreign accent.

Observations I make about Italians on our first night here:

(1) Dining is a quiet activity (even our whispers were far too loud during dinner).

(2) There are always tablecloths on the tables – makes me want to get one for our home.

(3) There is no water to drink ANYWHERE.


12.15.07, day three

Our first full day in Venice. Dear Lord, we walked a lot. The streets are quaint and inviting. There is so much life and activity. DOGS! DOGS ARE EVERYWHERE! Leashed, free, clothed. AMAZING!

Museums are way more fun if (a) you know what’s in them and (b) you care about what’s in them.

We are not a happy family when any one of us is hungry. And it seems as though we are only allowed two meals per day: our continental breakfast and a slice of pizza we concede to buy only when someone threatens to pass out.

Pizza and gelato are like hot dogs and pretzels in NYC: cheap and on every street corner.

It’s really cold here at night.


12.16.07, day four

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. thinking about all the things I left unfinished back at home. I can’t seem to get that stuff off my mind. And now that I’m halfway across the world, I’m coming up with all the possibilities of a bright future that may not even be within my reach.

Dad mentioned something about someone he knew who majored in music and English, “which basically means he can never get a job.” As much as he says otherwise, I know my dad hates the fact that I enjoy music and performing. I know he will consider me a disappointment when the plan for my future starts to unfold. I’m not learning not to care. It’s hard, though.

We visited the islands of Murano (known for glass blowing) and Burano (known for lace making), both of which were beautiful. I got earrings for myself, as well as a matching bracelet.

Mom doesn’t trust my judgment for my sense of direction. After she gets us lost three times, Dad is starting to mistrust her.

We’re not going to drink while we’re here because my parents don’t drink. Laaame.

My friends are giving dim sum and ice skating in San Francisco today. A part of me wishes I was there with them instead of here with my family. That’s sad.

The Italian people and their language are both very beautiful.

I’m starting to get used to all this walking.


12.17.07, day five

Milan seems to be the financial capital of the country. The buildings are much more modern. And there is a greater amount of diversity there, in regards to ethnicity. It feels like a metropolitan city, but it lacks the beauty and charm of San Francisco. Wow, I miss home. We didn’t do much other than eat and window show. We got the Chinese food Dad’s been craving; it wasn’t that good and we didn’t get any free fortune cookies at the end of the meal. Bummer. Shopped at H&M and Zara, which were cool, but also kind of touristy. Ah well.

Quotes of the day:

  • Dad: It’s better not to bring the [camera] charger.
    Mom: NO! It’s ALWAYS better to bring the [camera] charger!
    (actually from 12.16.07 when Dad’s camera battery officially died)
  • Asian woman at the Venezia train station: Good morning, what country are you from?
    Me: United States.
    Asian woman at the Venezia train station: Oh, that’s why! You have beautiful English!
  • Me: Dad, why do you call that [granola bar] a power bar?
    Dad: …Because it gives me power.

The three-hour train ride to Milan illuminated a lot of things about myself. I am the hippie of my family. I have progressive points of view and an extremely individualized perception of life. Conversations with my family certainly proved that.

On a completely different note, my dad is freakin’ ridic. He secretly changed his name from Ireneo to Reynaldo three years ago because he was tired of having his name mispronounced and misspelled. But afterwards, he realized that there were too many documents to change and too much red tape to go through, so he never used it. What? Ridic.

Chris was totally right – writing really is helping me sort out things in my head, and I’m feeling less stressed than I would have if I didn’t get all this out. I owe him a great big thanks.

Goals for tomorrow: get a Venetian mask, a crepe, and some vin brulé (hot wine). Yeah!


12.18.07, day six

First things first: I got into Altarena Playhouse’s production of CHICAGO!!! Yes’1 I’ll be paying “Go to Hell Kitty.” Not one of the murderesses in “Cell Block Tango.” But I’m just happy to be in the show at all. And with a featured role! This seriously just made my day.

Today was our last in Venice. It is such a beautiful place. I got my vin brulĂ©, but alas, no crepe or Venetian mask. I suppose I can get a crepe elsewhere. I decided against the Venetian mask because I’m too much of a pack rat to warrant the purchase of anything that’s not practical. I already have my Murano jewelry as my souvenir from Venice anyway.

We’re walking a lot. Cathy’s pedometer marked us at nearly 30,000 steps today.

No comments: