8.10.2006

becoming a workaholic

So I've decided to quit Rapid Transit. After reflecting a bit on yesterday's rehearsal, I've realized that I'm really very very tired of the a cappella scene. I had auditioned because I wanted to keep singing. What I should have done was find a new medium for singing. When comparing last night's rehearsal to tonight's musical rehearsal for Aida, I had a far better time tonight because I was doing something completely new and exciting. Also, the level of difficulty of the music in Aida is more aligned with my own personal capabilities. Rapid Transit's repertoire... well, not so much. I think they're a fairly good group, especially for only being a year and a half young, but there are a lot of things that are still missing.

The other and more pertinent reason for my decision to quit the group is the fact that I have henceforth committed myself to becoming a workaholic. I can't get enough of my job. The tedious training sessions - which consist of looking at computer screens and being talked at for hours on end - excite me more than they should excite any normal functioning human being. Hearing about all the components of production and performance is enthralling, and I can easily visualize the entire thing coming together. I've woken up every day this week feeling more happy to be a working adult than I ever have. And it's surely going to get better.

Today, I learned a bit about life as a PR representative. I knew from the beginning that I would be spending some of my evenings traveling to school sites to hold parent meetings. What I didn't know was the actual frequency of those events or the fact that some of them would be held so far away that I would be spending a handful of nights in all-expense paid hotels. I was intrigued by the amount of participation I would be having in these performance components and simultaneously excited by the opportunity to be so closely involved with the people we will be serving - something that was definitely missing from my previous job.

As a result of these findings, I realized that my social life will have to be compromised. Hence, quitting Rapid Transit. But this is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make if it means being happy and satisfied with the work that I am doing. Singing will always be there for me, whether it's in my Rav4 or playing around with recording equipment or at a karaoke bar. Summer is also our down time at the office, which gives me the opportunity to do musicals on a regular basis.

I really want this job to work, and to do that, I've got to put 100% of myself into it. I know that I need to take advantage of the opportunities and time I have at Kaiser, especially because I am young and have so many resources available to me. Now's the time to push my way through the metaphorical door, when I don't have to deal with the responsibilities and consequences of mature adulthood.

Yes, I'm turning into one of those 9-to-5-ers. But I'll bet I'm going to be one of the happiest you've ever seen.

No comments: