9.19.2006

p.e.a.c.e. signs

The show I'm in charge of booking, P.E.A.C.E. Signs, opened today. It's about four elementary school kids and their student teacher, who uses the Stoplight Model to teach them about conflict resolution and violence prevention. The model encourages the kids to follow five steps in order to make better and healthier decisions when conflict arises: Stop, Feel, Think, Choose, and Act.

The show itself was amazing. I know that I might be a little biased because it's my troupe, but I'm not lying when I say that P.E.A.C.E. Signs is my favorite Educational Theatre Programs show that I've seen thus far (I've watched 4 of 5). The set is elaborate, colorful, and eye-catching; the acting was superb; and the singing (which I had the opportunity to help with) and dancing was solid. It was such a great feeling to see my work in action. I had spent most of the past month and a half trying to finish booking shows for the fall semester. Finally, I got to see the results of my endless phone calls and faxes, orientations and consultations. The students in the audience responded incredibly well, particularly to the difficult topics presented in the show - gang and domestic violence. They absorbed all the information and provided positive alternatives to violence when asked by the Performer Educators. It was enlightening to see how much of a difference our one-hour performance made on these children. And it was exciting to know that we have the opportunity to reach out to so many of them this year and help to improve the quality of their lives.

In summary, I love my job! And almost unbelievably, I feel like it's going to get a thousand times better in the weeks to come.
















ETP's P.E.A.C.E. Signs troupe on opening day at Cleveland Elementary School (Oakland)

No comments: