weekend review

Today was the first day I took off from my job at Kaiser. I didn't want to because I love my job and because I know there are a lot of things that need to be done at work, but having survived last week's rigorous rehearsal schedule, I reasoned with myself in the early hours of this morning and decided that for my health, it is necessary that I take a day off to rest and recuperate. Besides, if I didn't take a day off, this cold would only get worse, and the rest of this week will be spent traveling and doing site visits for work. I'll be needed in the office.

Though I've been stuck at home with a headache and a sore throat all day, I've been feeling really happy otherwise. My birthday weekend was incredible, thanks to a handful of new and old friends alike. I spent most of Saturday cleaning the apartment in preparation for the mini birthday party I was planning for Sunday evening. Though it might not sound all too appealing to others, I really enjoy cleaning and didn't mind having to do some of it on my birthday. I went out to dinner with the family at Jack London Square, then proceeded to Alameda High School for the opening of Aida. When I got there, I was thwarted by castmates and their birthday greetings. They all sang me "Happy Birthday" during vocal warm ups, and I was surprised with a cake constructed of brownie bites and strawberries, topped off with a candle. I learned that my dressing roommates had gotten brownie bites, cookies, and strawberries for the entire cast. Our room also brought bottles of champagne to celebrate my double deuce and the opening. At intermission, I was taken upstairs out of the dressing area and into the hallway adjacent to backstage. I was surprised with a Finding Nemo birthday/show opening cake that read "Break a Leg, Gina!" and had candles spelling "Happy Birthday" along the edge. I blew out the candles and served cake to the cast, crew, and orchestra right before the second act. After the show, which was amazing BTW, I headed out for margaritas with the cast. Certainly one of the most memorable birthdays I've ever had.

Sunday's matinee was followed by a Target-sponsored backstage tour for youth. I stuck around to see the tour and watch kids get tattoos painted by cast members. I greeted my grandma, aunts and uncle, cousins, and friends, all who came to watch the show and take the tour. They took me out to dinner, which was nice because it had been a while since I saw them all. I then made my way home to a small party with some friends and my housemates. I got Apples to Apples as a gift from my roommate Joe, and we broke it in by playing a couple of rounds that evening. Unfortunately, I had to cut the party short because the cold that was threatening to arrive all week had finally hit me. Regardless, I had a great time, just as everyone else at my party did.


Here are some pictures from the Sunday matinee, thanks to my cousin Sheryl. I'm really bad at taking pictures to commemorate things myself, so I'm happy that I had her around.

Backstage Tour

Demonstrating how props work

Lola and me

With the family

No comments: