10.07.2008

catch up

Too much has happened in the last few days, but most of it is too important not to mention. Sadly, all this running around has left me with a vicious cold, my first here in New York City. Ah well, it was coming sooner or later.

First, and most importantly, I quit my job! Well, not officially yet; my last day is this Sunday. I always talk about feeling burnt out - psshh, I haven't stopped talking about feeling burnt out since my junior year of high school - but this time, I finally did something about it. Thanks to my scholarship from AMDA, I didn't have to take out much of a loan to cover the remainder of my tuition. And since I have no debt from college and no personal debt of my own, I decided to be my own age, for once, and live off of someone else's money for the remainder of my time in school, which is just one calendar year. I realized that I didn't move 3,000 miles away from home to be a waitress, get stiffed by European tourists and yelled at by native New Yorkers about the quality of their bagel and lox, or be mistreated weekend after weekend by droves of hangry (hungry + angry) people. I came to New York City to perfect my craft and learn about myself and this beautiful city. So I'm gonna do that now and say goodbye to my first ever waitressing job. It was fun while it lasted.

Final demos are nearly completed. I spent the last couple of days throwing around more money than I could realistically afford to treat myself on a job well done. This included a mani/pedi, a stylish new haircut, a fantastic fall jacket, and a little special something for myself happening this weekend that I shouldn't (and never will) write home about. It was all well deserved, that much I can say.

I'm so addicted to How I Met Your Mother and Heroes. Seriously, how did I ever manage to get through the first 22 years of my life without watching TV? I don't know. Today, I discovered the wonders of HBO On Demand and watched all five premiere episodes of True Blood, a new vampire thriller. I have a thing for the supernatural, I suppose.

Nikki comes home from almost a month-long business trip in Toronto, so Bosco will no longer be my only roommate. As cool as it is to have a dog around, it'll be nice to have a person to talk to during the evenings. Most other people I know will be going home for the week break we have off from school. But seeing as though I no longer have a job and cannot afford to go back to California (even when I had the job I couldn't afford the cross-country flight), I'll be spending my week off at the AMDA library doing preparatory work for second semester as well as exploring the city. I hope to go to the movies, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Bridge, hopefully in time to see the waterfalls before they are taken down next week, and shopping for winter clothes.

The temperature is dropping and the seasons are changing. I cannot wait for winter in New York City.

No comments: