10.26.2008

seasons change

There's a chill in the air. Fall is upon us.

Summer/fall break ended spectacularly with a heartfelt reunion over diner food, a nighttime trip to the Statue of Liberty, a picnic in Central Park, drinks with good friends, snuggles and sleepovers, and gearing up for school. I've just completed my first week of my second semester at AMDA, and everything has gone pretty well thus far. Classes are just as expected, picking up right where we left off with little time for us to get comfortable. I got accepted into the Dialects Elective, where I'll learn how to speak three to four different dialects and accents this semester. I'm really happy about that, since the class is selective. Acceptance was based on an audition, which included speaking in various dialects and accents (and I had no previous experience doing so), transcribing text using the International Phonetic Alphabet, performance in the previous semester of Voice Production and Speech class, and teacher recommendation. Not only am I looking forward to the class for its subject matter, but it will surely be a benefit to me when I enter the professional performing world a year from now. Aside from Dialects, I'll be taking the Composition Elective this semester as well. It's been one of my life ambitions to write a song, but I've always been too scared. And for no real reason, actually. So when I heard about this class last semester, I made sure to make time for it in the fall. I attended the first class this past week, and it looks like its going to be a lot of fun. I also was elected Co-Dance Captain of my class group, and it was quite the honor to know that my peers trusted my leadership. I'll be running rehearsals outside of class and helping to teach and clean up dance routines in preparation for midterms and finals.

Outside of school, I've been happily adjusting to life as an unemployed, full-time student. I've gotten to spend a lot of time with my friends and I've gotten a lot more sleep than I've been used to in recent years. My loan application was declined, which was scary for about a hot second. Then I realized I did the application incorrectly, so I just reapplied and am now waiting on a positive response. With my credit history and guarantor, I should have no problem getting the money I need to get by. Knock on wood, of course.

I'm slowly, but surely, making plans for the holidays. No idea what I'll be doing this Friday to celebrate Halloween, but come Thanksgiving, you can surely find me on Central Park West watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and having an orphan Thanksgiving feast later that evening. Sometime soon I'll be ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park, the one featured in a handful of movies. Christmas will be spent in California, and I'll likely be visiting both the North and South counterparts of my lovely home state. And this New Year's will be my first in New York City and my first away from my family. I've got quite the holiday season ahead of me. More details to come in due time.

I've got a whole lot of reasons to be happy right now. My only worry is whether or not this feeling will last. But I'll figure it all out in the weeks ahead. Until then, all I can do is patiently smile and wait.

No comments: