10.10.2006

in the spirit of the holidays

As the weather changes and the air picks up a chill, I can't help but be excited by what the next few weeks will bring. I've always loved holiday season, which for me includes Halloween because, well, it too is a holiday. For the first time in about 5 years, I'll have the opportunity to enjoy Halloween to its fullest. It's repeatedly been dampened by impending midterms or papers. But this year, with no homework in sight, I'll be able to dress up and party like the rest of them. Not that I intend to party, really. Our house will be hosting a party of sorts next weekend, a tad early for Halloween, but I may decide to dress up anyway. Sunday afternoon was spent decorating the apartment - the first time I've ever had the opportunity to decorate a house since I was little (my parents gave up on Halloween years ago, when they decided they were too old and not scary enough to give out candy). Ratha and I plan on getting a pumpkin or two to carve, and I will certainly be handing out sweets on Halloween since we live near three elementary schools.

Just yesterday, I deviated from the usual high-energy pop tunes that I use to accompany my evening workout and opted for Christmas music, which got me just as pumped up as any Kelly Clarkson single could. For me, much like any other person who loves this time of year, the holiday season is equated with long and aimless chats with friends, baking and hot chocolate, TV specials, time spent with the family, and lots and lots of singing. Wonderful diversions to pass the time away.

Along with all the holiday trimmings comes the trimming of everything that comes with the holidays, namely in the form of New Year's Resolutions. And this time around, I'm starting early. Like most people in the world, one spot on my list of things to accomplish is always devoted to the task of losing weight. Last year, I was quite successful, actually, shedding a substantial number of pounds and shrinking down a few dress sizes. However, the outcome was short lived due to a tragic and tumultuous summer that brought back old and unhealthy eating habits. But after seeing photographs after the close of Aida, I was dissatisfied and resolved to start my resolutions early. Granted, I'm not anywhere near where I once was: at a size 14 and on the larger half of the 100s scale, it's a wonder how I managed to maneuver in my 5'5" Pacific Islander frame. At least after having lost a lot of weight and gaining some of it back, it doesn't fill in the way it once did. My body has adjusted to its new form, and I don't look overweight like I did a year and a half ago. Anyway, the photos brought on a reality check, and since then, I've gotten back into the swing of things, which includes more healthy eating habits and sticking to a regular work out schedule. I'm proud to say that I have gone to the gym for the past 9 out of 12 days, and the results, though not grand, are nice. Things are progressing much slower than before, and I suppose that has to do with the fact that I'm used to the regimen. But I feel like this time around, the weight will stay off because I know what works and what doesn't. The ultimate resolution is to reach my weight goal sometime within 2007. And when it does, I plan to mark the occassion with before and after pictures and who knows what else.

All in all, things are good. And come this weekend, they will surely get better - rehearsals with ACLO are starting up again!

No comments: